2017 has kicked off with encouraging news on nutrition and the environment.
At the World Economic Forum in Davos, 25 world leading companies including Arla, Danone, FrieslandCampina, Nestlé. PepsiCo and Unilever announced the launch of FReSH, the Food Reform for Sustainability and Health programme.
The target is to unlock US$2.3 trillion of business opportunities and create 80 million jobs in meeting the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Planned actions include:
• Guidelines on healthy and sustainable diets
• Production and formulation improvements
• Publicity to shift consumer behaviour
• Better sourcing and lower waste
• Stronger measurement and reporting.
Could this be the beginning of an integrated global policy for agriculture, food and nutrition ? Let’s hope so.