Before the summer break for many people, I thought it might be interesting to review some of Zenith’s conference delegate polling in the last couple of months.
First, let’s take a look back at Beverage Digest’s Market Smarts conference during June in New York.
• The most important issue facing the US soft drinks industry was obesity/taxation 60%, far ahead of growth/profitability 25% and innovation/other 13%, with sustainability/waste trailing at 3%.
• Liquid refreshment beverage value growth in 2017-18 was predicted at 2-3.9% 62% and 4-5.9% 24%, with no one foreseeing a decline.
• The highest value growth potential over the next 10 years was expected to be functional beverages/personalised nutrition 43%, tea/coffee/sports/energy 26%, carbonated soft drinks 17% and plain water 14%. No one chose juice/juice drinks or milk/dairy alternatives.
• The new technology promising the greatest impact in the next 10 years was driverless vehicles 37%, click and collect 16%, self manufacture/dispense 11% and drone delivery 5%. Not invented yet/other came second at 26%.
• The biggest social media concerns were return on investment 43% and maintaining privacy 35%.
• The main purchase influencer in 5 years was thought to be word of mouth 56%.