The trend is clear. The name is not.
The trend is towards adult taste drinks with less or no alcohol. It’s there in:
• spirits, from 30% alcohol by volume sugar-free Smirnoff Infusions to distilled non-alcoholic Seedlip
• wines, from 9-10% alcohol by volume Barefoot Refresh to organic non-alcoholic Zéra
• beers, from 0.5% alcohol by volume BrewDog Nanny State to alcohol free Heineken 0.0. It’s also growing in soft drinks, such as:
• mixers from Fever-Tree to Coca-Cola Signature
• cordials from Bottlegreen to Robinsons Fruit Creations • carbonates from Purdey’s multivitamin juice drink to South Africa’s The Duchess non-alcoholic gin and tonic
• plus kombucha and so much more. So, what should the category be called ? Is it
• Alcohol-free ?
• Zero alcohol ?
• Zero proof ?
• Non-alcoholic drinks ?
• Adult drinks ?
• Adult soft drinks ?
• Craft soft drinks ?
• Low and no alcohol ?
These names all represent different aspects, with different limitations. How about NOLO ? It’s terrible, but it might work. It’s short and embraces the full spectrum. I’d be interested in other views.