Excellence in sustainability
Everyone’s talking about it, but what should businesses realistically be aiming to achieve ?
My benchmark in recent years has been Coca-Cola Hellenic and the company’s latest social responsibility report appeared on my desk recently.
It’s a remarkable document – open, accountable, targeted, measured and comprehensive – as good a guide to best practice as any. It covers everything from treating 100% of wastewater to installing eco-friendly chilled display cabinets. It also demonstrates commitment beyond the aspirations of most others, such as building three more combined heat and power plants to 2011. Amongst key indicators, since 2004:
- water use has fallen 22% to 2.26 litres per litre of beverage produced
- its water footprint has come down by 58%
- energy use has been reduced by 21% per litre of beverage produced
- carbon dioxide emissions have been cut by 32% per litre of beverage produced.
Some of the other figures are outstanding too:
- 45% recycled PET content in Römerquelle water bottles
- 3 million participants in its sports and activity programmes in 2011
- 750 kilometres of river banks and beaches cleared.