Road narrows for French drives
After 7 years of accelerating growth since the opening of France’s first click and collect ‘drive’ retailer, there are now signs of a slowdown.
- Market leader Leclerc plans only 50 new outlets in 2015, compared with 140 in 2014.
- 2 million new customers were recruited in 2014, but 3.1 million did not return.
- At least 18 outlets have now closed altogether.
It could be, however, that the segment is simply changing gear to refine its offer more effectively.
- It still represented 47% of overall food retail sales growth in 2014, even if down from 80% in 2013.
- Supermarkets with drives are performing 3% more strongly than those without.
- They accounted for 4.5% of grocery sales in October 2014.
Infant milk powders are the top selling product, with still water the top beverage in 9th position.