Global aseptic packaging to grow 30% in next 5 years
The world market for aseptically packed products amounted to 86 billion litres in 187 billion packs during 2008, according to the new Global Aseptic Packaging report from leading food and drink consultancy Zenith International and packaging experts Warrick Research. Volumes have grown by over 6% a year since 2003, with Asia achieving the fastest rise at over 13% a year.
White drinking milk accounts for more than 45% of aseptically packed products, with beverages responsible for over 40% and other dairy/non-dairy products making up the remainder. Aseptic filling has yet to make a significant impact in food markets, but there are some established niche applications and baby food is an important new area of development.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Cartons account for around 75% of the market, but they have started to lose market share,Ã¢â‚¬Â commented Zenith Chairman Richard Hall. Ã¢â‚¬Å“Pouches and PET bottles are becoming more popular, a trend that will continue over the next five years,Ã¢â‚¬Â added WarrickÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Managing Director David Warrick.
Other findings of the 2009 Global Aseptic Packaging report include:
- There are over 11,000 operational aseptic filling systems worldwide and more than 30 companies supply aseptic filling systems.
- The largest regional markets for aseptic packaging are in West Europe and Asia.
- In West Europe there has been particular growth in aseptic filling of PET bottles for beverages.
- Demand is increasing for new aseptic fillers of bottles and plastic pots for added value dairy products, both ambient and chilled.
- Lower total costs of operation and increased system flexibility are the main requirements and benefits of aseptic packaging to filling companies.
By 2013, Zenith and Warrick estimate that the world market will reach 113 billion litres using 265 billion packs. The majority of additional demand will come from Asia, where growth is forecast at 11% a year, with milk usage increasing faster than for beverages.
The 2009 Zenith & Warrick Report on Global Aseptic Packaging contains 675 pages including a detailed study of aseptic packaging use in 42 countries for milk, beverages and other products (with 2003 & 2008 data and 2009 & 2013 forecasts) and a technical report on aseptic processing and packaging (including technical developments and profiles of over 40 aseptic filling equipment suppliers). Contact Zenith International on tel +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please contact:
Gary Roethenbaugh or Laura Knight, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square w Bath BA1 2AB w United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900 w f +44 (0)1225 327901