UK bottled water returns to growth
Zenith's 2010 UK Bottled Water market report, its 20th annual edition, shows that overall volume sales grew by 1.4% in 2009 to 2,090 million litres. Retail sizes of less than 10 litres, which accounted for 85% of the total, achieved 4.7% growth.
In contrast, the bottled cooler market declined by 12.5% as plumbed-in mains water coolers, also known as point of use, continued to win new business in offices across the country.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“There are five key dynamics in the UK bottled water market at the moment and they are not all pointing in the same direction,Ã¢â‚¬Â commented Zenith Chairman Richard Hall.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“We have always believed that the benefits of convenient healthy hydration create an underlying momentum towards long term growth. Against that, concerns have been raised about environmental impact, but these are progressively being answered. The economic downturn has been another adverse factor in the past two years, putting greater emphasis on value for money.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“The weather is also an important variable Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½" very poor in both 2007 and 2008, but somewhat more favourable in 2009. Finally, the water cooler segment has changed dramatically Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½" from rapid growth in bottles to even higher consumption from point of use, but which no longer counts in our packaged volume calculations,Ã¢â‚¬Â he concluded.
Among other findings of the 2010 Zenith report:
- Still water was responsible for 87% of 2009 volume and sparkling water 13%.
- Natural mineral water took a 61% share, spring water 27%, purified water 2% and other waters 10%.
- Locally produced waters accounted for 78% and imported waters 22%.
- Bottled water coolers have fallen to 15% of consumption, compared with 22% in 2003.
- Packaged retail volumes are 9% higher than five years ago.
- The most popular retail pack size is 50cl, followed by 2 litre and 1.5 litre.
- The top five retail brands by volume are Evian, Highland Spring, Volvic, Buxton and Aqua-Pura.
- Of the top 10 retail brands, 5 are English, 2 Scottish, 1 Welsh and 2 French.
Zenith's forecasts anticipate continuing moderate overall growth, taking sales up a further 12% to 2,340 million litres by 2014.
The 2010 Zenith Report on UK Bottled Water contains 185 pages with a full market commentary, 29 charts, 29 detailed tables and 35 company profiles. Call Zenith International on +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes for Editors
1. Two charts are attached for publication:
2. For further information, please contact:
Richard Hall or Karen Wells, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square, Bath, BA1 2AB, United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900 f +44 (0)1225 327901