West Europe bottled water market stalls
West European bottled water consumption slipped back by 0.3% to 46.2 billion litres in 2007, according to the new 2008 West Europe Bottled Water report from leading drinks consultancy Zenith International.
"2007 was a difficult year, as sales were adversely affected by challenging weather conditions in northern Europe and a tightening of household expenditure," commented Zenith Market Intelligence Director Gary Roethenbaugh.
Still waters continued to gain ground on sparkling waters, following a long term trend. The penetration of still water is highest in Greece, Spain, Portugal, the United Kingdom and Ireland with market shares of at least 85%. In contrast, sparkling water is more popular than still water in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Sweden.
Other key findings of Zenith's 2008 West Europe Bottled Water report include insights that:
- 11 of the 16 countries reported growth, with Greece and Ireland achieving increases above 9%.
- The top five countries (Italy, Germany, France, Spain and the United Kingdom) held a combined volume share of 87%.
- Average consumption stood at 115.1 litres per person, slightly below 116.2 litres seen during the heatwave year of 2003.
- NestlÃ¯Â¿Â½ and Danone were the two leading companies, followed by Castel, San Benedetto and Hansa Heemann.
The rise in health awareness and the move away from carbonated soft drinks, coupled with widespread price discounting, are likely to continue driving volume growth to the detriment of value growth in the coming years. Product innovation that capitalises on the appeal of all-natural products should also help spur consumption.
Zenith forecasts that total bottled water consumption will resume growth to rise by a further 11% and reach 51 billion litres by 2012.
The 2008 Zenith Report on West Europe Bottled Water contains 149 pages including 16 detailed country profiles, ranking of the top 50 national operators and a full market analysis. Contact Zenith International on tel +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail email@example.com
Notes for Editors
1. Zenith International's definition of plain bottled water includes still and sparkling water (natural mineral, spring and processed) in a packaged format (both small pack and water for coolers).
2. For further information, please contact:
Gary Roethenbaugh, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square, Bath BA1 2AB, United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900, f +44 (0)1225 327901