- An essential guide for anyone present or considering entering the protein market with a view of offering innovation and added value to consumers.
- Includes an overview of global trends highlighting common themes in new product development.
- Features a wide range of products, innovations and trends shaping the future of the international protein industry.
- Includes over 60 innovative protein brands launched between 2012 and 2014 worldwide to benchmark against leading and innovative products.
- Explores challenges and opportunities in the protein category.
View report preview
Background and report description
The new millennium is marked by an increase in health awareness amongst consumers. More people take an interest in their wellbeing – exercising more and eating more healthily. High-protein products are no longer only associated with body building, athletes and generating muscle mass - they are being marketed as foods that help consumers lead a healthy lifestyle.
Zenith’s report on Protein Innovation examines the key trends and themes driving innovation and new product launches during 2012-2014. The report provides an ultimate guide of the most innovative and leading products in a user-friendly presentation format to help you quickly gain an understanding of new product development worldwide.
What this report covers
- Category overview: overview of key global market trends.
- Key trends in new product development: explores 10 main themes driving product development and innovation worldwide in the protein category.
- Brand profiles: over 60 profiles of innovative protein brands including product image, detailed product information, date of launch, packaging size & type, pricing, key ingredients and description of variants.
Brand profiles featured by the following key innovation themes:
1. Introduction of new formats
2. Introduction of new flavours
3. Reduced sugar content
4. Use of new protein sources
5. Use of new ingredients
6. ‘Ultra Premium’ classification
7. Designer bottles
8. Limited edition packaging releases
9. Minimalistic packaging designs
10. Unique packaging shapes & textures
Scope and definition:
For the purpose of this report, Zenith has limited its research scope using the following definition:
- Any packaged and ready-to-consume product marketed as a protein food/snack/drink or highlights the weight of protein content on the label, and 10% (one tenth) or more of its calorific value is from its protein content. According to EU regulations, 1g of protein provides 4kcals.
- A separate section is provided for ready-to-consume protein-rich products for specific age groups, such as children, seniors, etc.
- Any packaged and ready-to-consume food or drink product sold through retail as well as other channels, and contains protein from an unconventional or relatively new source (such as insects).
Exclusions: Any non-packaged product as well as raw or cooked meat, poultry, eggs, seafood, soy, legumes, cheese etc. are excluded.