MASSIVE COST SAVINGS FROM NEW TECHNOLOGY
I don’t really do technology. My focus is primarily on society and consumers, brands and producers. But at our Global Soft Drinks Congress a fortnight ago in Germany, I was particularly impressed by six supplier presentations that showed how much can be saved in operating costs by pushing to the limits of new technology.
- Water usage can be reduced by 70% using Sidel’s dry sterilisation process, along with numerous other efficiency improvements in energy, cleaning and compressed air.
- Integrated energy production facilities from ContourGlobal can increase bottling efficiency by over 40%, accompanied by other benefits for energy and CO2, carbon and air emissions.
- 50% PET weight reductions in bottle neck threads were demonstrated by Sipa.
- Further 35% lightweighting opportunities for caps were presented by Bericap.
- A 74% carbon footprint reduction was offered by CCL through switching to super stretch sleeve labels instead of shrink sleeves.
- Up to 50% sales increases have been achieved by use of Frigoglass ice cold merchandisers.