MODEL OF SUSTAINABILITY
I read endless reports. Some of them put a smile on my face. Notably when I see businesses performing well and communicating well. Thus, I commend to you the latest Social Responsibility Report of Coca-Cola Hellenic. It seems every dimension of the company’s operations is now conscious of and improving its contribution to sustainability. I cite a selection of measures that caught my attention.
- 37% reduction in operational water footprint between 2003 and 2009, despite a 69% increase in production volume.
- 25% decrease in water usage per litre of product from 3.2 litres in 2002 to 2.4 litres in 2009.
- 31% improvement in plant energy efficiency since 2002.
- 4 on site combined heat and power units constructed, with 12 more planned.
- 66% energy saving from latest vending machine technology compared with 2004.
- 36% lightweighting of average 50cl PET water bottle since 2005.
- 66% of packaging in Europe recycled.
- 18% lowering of average calorie content per 100ml from 37 in 2001 to 30 in 2009.