US BOTTLED WATER BACKLASH
The summer was sillier in the States than usual. Restaurants and Mayors are perfectly entitled to prefer tap water to bottled water. Tap water is a great product. But their antagonism towards bottled water is misdirected.
- All water is healthier than most other beverages. Few of us drink enough of it. It helps our mind, our body, our work, our attention, our comfort, our ageing.
- Water also fills us up without calories or caffeine or alcohol or fat and few other drinks do that. In an increasingly obese world, society should be encouraging water consumption wherever and whenever possible.
- Bottled water uses less packaging than most other beverages. PET is 100% recyclable. Still water uses much less material than sparkling drinks. In the US, packaging weights have been reduced by as much as 40% in the past five years. Large 20 litre cooler bottles are often used 50 times before recycling.
- Bottled water travels less distance than most other beverages. The majority of brands in the United States, Europe and other countries are local or regional, travelling less than 100 kilometres on average from their source to the shelf.
- Then there are principles of consumer convenience and choice, lifestyle and taste.