Global aseptic packaging to grow 24% by 2020
The world market for aseptically packed products amounted to over 140 billion litres in 330 billion packs during 2014, according to the new Global Aseptic Packaging report from leading food and drinks consultancy Zenith International and packaging experts Warrick Research. Volumes have risen by 4% a year since 2011, with China achieving the fastest rate of 8% a year, followed by South and South East Asia on 7%.
White drinking milk accounts for 42% of aseptically packed products, with beverages responsible for 39% and other dairy/food products making up the remainder. Aseptic filling has also become established for soups, sauces, tomato products and baby foods.
“In the past three years, the aseptic filling equipment industry has experienced further consolidation, with several smaller suppliers being acquired by larger groups, strengthening their ability to service international markets,” commented David Warrick, Director at Warrick Research Ltd. “Use of aseptic packaging has generally reflected global economic trends,” added Esther Renfrew, Market Intelligence Director at Zenith International. “Volumes have been static in much of Europe, contrasting with rapid growth in many Asian countries.”
Other findings of the 2015 Global Aseptic Packaging Report include:
- There are some 15,000 operational aseptic filling systems worldwide, serviced by more than 30 suppliers.
- The largest regional markets for aseptic packaging are West Europe and China. China is set to become the leading region by 2020, followed by Latin America.
- Value added dairy products are a fast growing area of demand for aseptic filling systems. In some regions, fillers are used for both ambient and chilled dairy products.
- Environmental issues have become more important in many regions. Developments include the introduction of electron beam sterilisation as an alternative to chemical sterilisation. Demand is increasing for re-use or recycling.
By 2020, Zenith and Warrick estimate that the world market will reach 182 billion litres and 438 billion packs. The majority of additional demand will come from China as well as South and South East Asia.
The 2015 Zenith & Warrick Report on Global Aseptic Packaging contains 763 pages, including a detailed study of aseptic packaging use in 43 countries for milk, beverages and other products, with 2011 and 2014 data plus 2015 and 2020 forecasts. Analysis of aseptic processing and packaging includes technical developments and profiles of over 35 aseptic filling equipment suppliers. Contact Zenith International on +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail email@example.com.
Notes for Editors
- Two charts are attached for publication.
- For further information, please contact:
Esther Renfrew or Monika Fedor, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square, Bath BA1 2AB, United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900, f +44 (0)1225 327901