Global energy drinks market spurts ahead to $37 billion
Global energy drink consumption surged by 14% in 2011 to 4.8 billion litres, adding over 1.5 billion litres since 2007, according to the latest report from leading food and drink consultancy Zenith International. Average growth over the past five years has been 10% a year. Value has risen even more sharply, by an average 13% a year, to €26,500 million or $37,000 million in 2011. Energy shots have rocketed from $2,000 million in 2007 to over $4,700 million last year.
“Energy drinks remain the most dynamic segment in the soft drinks market, with strong growth in most countries. This is testament to its combination of both fun and functionality,” commented Zenith Market Intelligence Director Esther Renfrew.
The top ten consuming countries among the 57 covered by the Zenith report were the United States, Vietnam, China, United Kingdom, Thailand, Mexico, Australia, Germany, Poland and Saudi Arabia. Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Saudi Arabia and Israel had the highest consumption per person. North America is still the leading region, with 36% of global volume in 2011, followed by Asia Pacific with 22% and West Europe with 17%. Latin America has made significant gains over the last few years, rising to a 7% share. Australasia has also seen its volume share nearly double to 4%.
Among other findings in the Zenith 2011 Global Energy Drinks report:
- The world leading brands are Red Bull, Monster and Burn in energy drinks and 5-Hour Energy in energy shots.
- Key regional brands include Power Horse in the Middle East, Lipovitan in Asia Pacific and V in Australasia.
- Supermarket and other private labels accounted for 5% of global volume in 2011.
- As much as 56% of purchases were made in bars and other away from home outlets compared to 44% in supermarkets and convenience stores.
- Diet energy drinks hold a 15% volume share.
- 79% of 2011 volume was sold in cans.
By 2016, Zenith estimates that the global market will have jumped by a further 35% to 6.5 billion litres.
The 2012 Zenith Report on Global Energy Drinks contains over 800 pages of tables, charts, market developments and analysis on energy drink and energy shot consumption in 57 countries. Contact Zenith International on tel +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notes for Editors
- Zenith’s definition of energy drinks excludes glucose-based products and sports drinks.
- Two charts are attached for publication.
3. For further information, please contact:
Esther Renfrew or Cecilia Martinez, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square w Bath BA1 2AB w United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900, f +44 (0)1225 327901