Global milk consumption up 2.4% to over 250 billion litres
The global market for drinking milk continued to grow in 2015, rising by 2.4% to 251 billion litres, according to a new report from leading food and drinks industry consultancy Zenith Global. White milk remains by far the most commonly consumed type, capturing 93% of total volume, with flavoured milk accounting for the remaining 7%. Both segments are forecast to strengthen in the years to 2020, with annual growth of 2% and 7% respectively.
The majority of consumption takes place in the Asia Pacific region, with volume in excess of 130 billion litres making up 52% of the global market. This is followed by West Europe, North America and Latin America, with a combined share of 35%. Sales in all regions apart from North America increased in 2015.
Innovation is widespread in the industry, with manufacturers striving to capture market share through offering consumers added value. A number of innovation trends have emerged in recent years, from vitamin-enriched milks, confectionery-inspired flavours and premium positioning to weight-loss and gender-focused products.
“Milk is inherently functional and offers a natural combination of minerals and vitamins. The industry has embraced innovation in order to invigorate the category as competition intensifies with other beverage sectors,” commented Zenith Global Market Intelligence Director Esther Renfrew
The 2016 Zenith Global Report on Milk Innovation identifies 9 key trends and themes driving new product development initiatives since 2014 – added protein, child-oriented, vitamin and mineral enriched, gender focus, indulgence, lactose-free, low-fat, sports nutrition and weight management.
Over 60 in-depth brand profiles offer product images in addition to detailed information such as launch date, packaging type and size, ingredients, variants, pricing and distribution channels. The report also offers an overview of the global milk market, with market insights covering global and specific regional trends as well as challenges and opportunities.
The 2016 Zenith Report on Milk Innovation contains profiles on 69 brands launched between 2014 and 2016 across 5 regions under 7 categories.
Notes for Editors
- Two illustrations are attached for publication.
- For further information, please contact:
Pam Jones, Zenith Global Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square, Bath BA1 2AB, United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900, f +44 (0)1225 327901