Omega-3 drinks sales near 6 billion euros in 2006
Drinks enriched with omega-3 reached global sales of 5,792 million euros in 2006, according to the 2008 Omega-3 Drinks report from leading food and drink consultancy Zenith International. Preliminary figures for 2007 indicate a further year of strong growth, taking volumes up 6.5% to 2,362 million litres.
"Omega-3 is a key route for functional drinks to move into the consumer mainstream," commented Zenith Market Intelligence Director Gary Roethenbaugh. "Still a niche sector in relative terms, it holds considerable potential for further development, with a wide range of applications open across the food and drinks spectrum."
The report identifies a broad scientific consensus on three underlying views:
- Omega-3s are essential to health, not just beneficial.
- Omega-3 is an anti-inflammatory and is of benefit to the heart.
- The longer chain omega-3s, DHA and EPA, are highly concentrated in certain tissues such as the brain and can significantly enhance brain health.
It also reviews ongoing research into the implications for dementia, Alzheimer's, behavioural and attention deficit disorders, depression, schizophrenia and a wide range of other illnesses and symptoms.
With a well established interest in enriched juices and juice-based drinks, North Americans are the world's leading consumers of omega-3 beverages. The current 2.2 litres annual average is expected to rise to at least 2.9 litres per person by 2011. Elsewhere, West Europeans drink an average 1.3 litres per year, East Europeans 0.4 litre and consumers in Asia/Australasia around 0.1 litre.
Zenith's 2008 Omega-3 Drinks report also finds that:
- North America accounted for 32.8% of global volume in 2006, followed by West Europe on 23.7% and Asia/Australasia with 22.7%.
- Worldwide volumes increased by 7.9% in 2005 and 7.4% in 2006.
- Omega-3 drink sales are forecast to rise another 34% in the five years to 2011.
The 2008 Zenith Report on Omega-3 Drinks contains 78 pages including tables and charts, brand and company profiles, and a full market commentary. Contact Zenith International on tel +44 (0)1225 327900, fax +44 (0)1225 327901 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please contact:
Gary Roethenbaugh or Stuart Foxon, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square, Bath BA1 2AB, United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900, f +44 (0)1225 327901