West Europe fruit juice drink sales reach Ã¢â€šÂ¬23 billion
West European sales of fruit juice and nectars rose a further 1.6% in 2007 to Ã¢â€šÂ¬23 billion, with volume up 1.1% to 10.3 billion litres, according to the latest West Europe Fruit Juice report from leading drinks consultancy Zenith International.
"Fruit juice's momentum has been driven by the consumer appeal of convenient, natural healthiness. No longer confined to the breakfast table, improved availability has helped extend both at-home and on-the-go consumption", commented Zenith Market Intelligence Director Gary Roethenbaugh. "Squeezed juices, chilled juices, superfruits and smoothies are becoming increasingly popular across Europe as consumers seek new natural healthy drinks that taste great."
Further key findings from the 2008 West Europe Fruit Juice report include:
- Germany, United Kingdom and France were the leading countries, responsible for 61% of total volume.
- Squeezed 'not from concentrate' juice volumes advanced 9.4% in response to growing consumer interest in more natural premium products.
- Chilled juices achieved double digit growth in Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Finland.
- The smoothie phenomenon, originating in the UK, continued to spread across the region.
- Orange juice maintained pole position as the most consumed overall flavour.
- Cartons dominated the market with 67% of 2007 volume, but PET is now gaining rapidly.
- Industry consolidation continued, with the top five companies - Eckes-Granini, GerberEmig, Conserve Italia, PepsiCo and Refresco - strengthening their positions.
By 2012, Zenith anticipates that total fruit juice and nectar consumption will reach 11 billion litres, taking average annual consumption to 27.4 litres per person.
The 2008 Zenith Report on West Europe Fruit Juice contains 175 pages including 14 regional charts and 20 tables plus 7 tables and charts for each of 16 countries and a full market commentary. Contact Zenith International on tel +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail email@example.com
For further information, please contact:
Gary Roethenbaugh or Natalie Cording, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square w Bath BA1 2AB w United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900 w f +44 (0)1225 327901