West Europe Water Cooler slow growth hides fast change
West Europe’s water cooler market continued to grow by 1% in 2013, according to a new report from the sector’s leading specialist consultancy, Zenith International, with mains water coolers coming closer to overtaking bottled coolers.
The number of point of use mains water units grew by 4% last year, while there was a 1% decline for bottled water cooler numbers. Bottled water coolers claimed a 57% share of the 2.8 million total, down from 58% in 2012. Point of use gained further popularity and appears to be heading towards a share ultimately beyond 50%.
The United Kingdom retains the lead for water cooler installations, with 24% of the total, higher than in 2012. Italy and France also saw slight gains, at 17% and 15% shares respectively. Many other countries managed increases in the bottled cooler segment, but Portugal experienced a drop of 7%.
“Point of use continues to take market share away from bottles, with many customers making a straight conversion,” commented Zenith International Market Intelligence Director Esther Renfrew. “Portugal, Norway, Ireland and France have seen conversion rates of over 70%.”
Point of use achieved double figure growth in Austria and Germany, with Switzerland claiming the fastest rise in 2013 at 17%.
Spring water is the most popular type of water, rising to 32% of bottled cooler volume. Mineral water and purified water each grew, while eau de boisson lost share, falling back to 15% of sales in bottles.
Zenith forecasts that point of use numbers will continue to grow faster than bottled water cooler installations, approaching a 50% share in 2018.
The 2014 Zenith Report on West Europe Water Coolers contains over 500 pages of market commentary, charts and tables including 16 country and more than 150 company profiles. Contact Zenith International on tel +44 (0)1225 327900 or e-mail email@example.com.
Notes for Editors
- Two charts are attached for publication:
- Point of use coolers are plumbed in to mains water supplies.
- For further information, please contact:
Nick Crossland, Zenith International Ltd
7 Kingsmead Square, Bath BA1 2AB, United Kingdom
t +44 (0)1225 327900, f +44 (0)1225 327901