35 acquisitions in May
Two major deals dominated the 35 food and drink transactions recorded on the bevblog.net database in May:
• $7,000 million from China’s Shuanghui for Smithfield in the United States.
• $2,500 million sales to be generated by Exopack’s restructuring with a base in Luxembourg.
China featured strongly, with three other substantial transfers:
• $636 million for Huiyuan Juice’s restructuring.
• €500 million sales expected from Mengniu’s yogurt joint venture with Danone.
• $410 million from Mengniu for 27% of China Modern Dairy.
Dairy was the most active sector with 7 transactions, followed by alcohol and soft drinks on 6 each, then ingredients on 4.
The United States was involved in 18, the United Kingdom in 10, China in 6 and France in 5.