Calories and exercise
Some startling statistics on the UK diet in The Grocer magazine on 9th February:
• 44% of consumers exercise less than once a week, more than half of those doing no exercise at all.
• Coca-Cola has reduced the calorie content of Fanta by 30%, Lilt by 56% and Oasis by 35% since 2007.
• PepsiCo has not advertised regular Pepsi since 2005.
• Sainsbury’s removed 600 million calories from shopping baskets in a year.
• More than 60% of British soft drinks contain no added sugar.
• Consumption of soft drinks with added sugar fell by 10% in the past decade, while obesity rose by 15%.
Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.