Record 59 acquisitions in April
Yes, the rate of food and drink transactions recorded on the bevblog.net database climbed to a record 59 during April, almost two each day.
As many as six featured values in excess of $1,000 million.
- $6,500 million sales for the consumer health joint venture between Britain’s GlaxoSmithKline and Switzerland’s Novartis, but beverages played only a minor part.
- $2,450 million for Post to buy Michael Foods in the United States.
- $2,200 million for Sweden’s Alfa Laval to purchase Norway’s Frank Mohn in packaging.
- $1,900 million for Britain’s Diageo to gain control over India’s United Spirits.
- €1,300 million for Germany’s Symrise to acquire France’s Diana Group in ingredients.
- $1,500 million for the Noble Agri joint venture between China’s Cofco and Singapore’s Noble.
Of the 59 deals, 15 were in alcohol, 8 in soft drinks, 7 in ingredients, 6 in packaging/equipment, 5 in dairy and 5 in other beverages.
23 involved the United States, 13 the United Kingdom, 8 France, 4 Switzerland and 3 Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands and Singapore.