Conferences are great places to pick up unexpected new insights. At last week’s UK Soft Drinks Industry Conference, I learned a lot about British shopping habits from Sarah Mitson of TNS.
- The main weekly shop takes an average 50 minutes and involves 66 items being purchased.
- Top up visits average 20 minutes for 13 items.
- 81% of supermarket trips today are for top up visits, not the main weekly shop.
- Top up shopping accounts for 39% of supermarket value sales.
- 25% of shoppers say they walk through the entire store, but in-store cameras show only 2% cover more than half the store.
- Eye level is not the optimum shelf for display, because our eyes are normally angled 15-30% downwards.