UK soft drinks sustainability
A Government backed project to develop a sustainability roadmap for UK soft drinks has produced a useful interim report with five key findings and five areas for future focus. The facts first:
- £14.5 billion a year market value
- 14.6 billion litres annual consumption
- 15 million tonnes product volume
- 40 million tonnes supply chain materials used
- 7.8 million tonnes CO2 equivalent in greenhouse gas emissions.
The main contributors to greenhouse gas emissions in CO2 equivalent are:
- categories: dilutables 3.25 m tonnes, carbonates 2.0 m tonnes;
- materials: fruit 2.6 m tonnes, PET 2.0 m tonnes.
Attention will now turn to reducing impacts from:
- fruit and sugar
- product waste
- process water.