UKRAINE : COUNTRY TO WATCH
The smartest investors have been looking beyond the large population emerging BRIC economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China towards the lower profile second tier. Ukraine has been high on Zenith's list and is swiftly moving up other people's rankings too. The fundamental reasons are :
- Geography - between central Europe and Russia.
- Population - 46 million, bigger than Spain and Poland.
- Growth - over 7% a year increase in economic output since 2000.
- Democracy, independence and opening outlook.
- September 2006 - Danone buys Rodich for $10 million.
- April 2007 - Bel takes over Shostka cheese producer for estimated $60 million.
- April 2007 - Russia's Wimm-Bill-Dann announces interest in Ukrainian juice market.
- June 2007 - PepsiCo and PepsiAmericas acquire 80% of Sandora juice business for $542 million.
- June 2007 - Orangina Group purchases Rosìnka mineral water producer with sales of 30 million euros.