UPTURN FOR CARBONATES
That may be putting it too strongly, but I believe carbonated soft drinks will do better in the downturn than most people think. Why?
- They are an affordable pleasure, light relief in an uncertain world.
- Anecdotal evidence suggests that, in difficult times, consumers turn to trusted brands from happier times and colas rank highly amongst those.
- Brands are having to price promote heavily, while retailer labels are very inexpensive, all driving extra volume through better value.
- There are still many emerging markets for carbonates, such as China and India. Their economies are slowing as well as the West, but many markets have a very long way to catch up.
- And then there is stevia, the subject of my next blog.