US ENERGY DRINKS – MONSTER ROARS
So it’s happened. As predicted. Monster is now the top US energy drink brand by volume, with a 2007 all channel share of 28%. Red Bull is still way ahead by value, but its volume share is down to 27%. There’s more activity from others too. Pepsi’s AMP and SoBe are on 9%; Coke’s Full Throttle, Fuze NOS, Tab Energy and Glacéau Vitamin Energy are at 10%; and Coke partner Rockstar has jumped to 19%. Overall, the market gained 29% to more than 5,000 million servings. I am indebted to Beverage Digest for the figures. All brand leaders need real competition to keep consumers interested and markets alive. The United States is beginning to produce some serious new energy.