US SOFT DRINKS - FIRST FIGURES FOR 2007
As the biggest market for most beverages worldwide, US results are always worth watching. Although the Beverage Digest supermarket numbers represent well under 50% of total volume, they offer very strong indications.
- Energy drinks were up most at 24% - Monster was just 1 share point behind Red Bull.
- Teas rose 20% - with Lipton pulling away from the competition.
- Bottled water gained 10% - Private label has jumped to a 22% share and Glaceau has overtaken Dasani in value.
- Sports drinks increased just 3% - much weaker than in recent years, with Gatorade dipping below 80%.
- Carbonates fell 8% - worse than the 5% decline of 2006. Coke was down 9%, Pepsi 8%, Cadbury 6% and private label 9%.